Wednesday, February 10, 2010

my last big project

So it’s only about eight months before I finish my Peace Corps service. I can’t believe it, but I already need to start thinking about wrapping up my projects. I just started what will likely be my last major project.

I’m calling this project the Young Men’s Leadership Development Group. The goals of this group will be create a space for honest and open discussion about men’s issues (gender roles, what it means to “be a man”, violence, love and relationships, etc…), gender, and human rights, to develop practical leadership and life skills, and to develop a module on how to work with young men in Kazakhstan about gender. This initial group will meet for three months, and it consists of some of my best English students. They will work with me towards the end of the three months to create this module. That way I have plenty of insight and opinions on what is effective from young Kazakh men themselves. Hopefully, I’ll be able to distribute this module to future volunteers and teachers around the country.

Anyway, I’ll update how this is coming along in the next couple weeks. In the meantime, thanks to everyone who has been praying and thinking about my friend Jamie. She continues to make a little bit of progress everyday. It’s harder than I can say to stay here and continue my work so far away, but I’m encouraged by her improvements and try to send her a note (through her family and friends) every few days J.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Joe, How are you it is me Serikzhan from Kazakstan,, I have attanded that group,, you have wrote about everything, but i cant understand what was your target

Unknown said...

HI Joe, How are you it is me Serikzhan from Kazakstan,, I have attanded that group,, you have wrote about everything, but i cant understand what was your target