Sunday, October 12, 2008

So I am currently on my "site visit" to Shymkent. I'll be here for a week meeting people in Sana Sezim, checking out the town, meeting possible host families, etc... So far, so good. Right now I am at Sana Sezim. The women I'll be working with are very nice and play dance music. I think it will be a good time. I've been trying to get an idea of what exactly I'll be doing here and so far I'm pretty sure my biggest tasks will be to research and write grants from international donors and to develop their volunteer program, both of which sound exciting to me. I already got to meet a few volunteers the other day. Three high school kids took me around and showed me Shymkent. It was an interesting experience, especially because they didn't speak English and I speak only some Russian. I'll probably also do a lot of proof-reading things in English.


I will also be helping with an English club and an English movie night this week. Last night I went to the English club. It is held at a library and between 10-20 high school and university students attend regularly. I think it will be a really great way to get to know people. Britt and I are going to make it our project.

Now Shymkent... It's kind of difficult to describe. The only way I can describe it is that it's like a mix between an Asian city and an Eastern European city. It's definitely bustling. There are street vendors everywhere selling everything from food to ripped DVDs to clothes to car parts. People are very put together and fashionable, in that Asian-Eastern European way?. I'll put up pictures once I'm here permanently that might put things into perspective. Anyway, I really like it. I can feel that city energy when I'm walking on the street. I like that. There are a million cafes and food is really cheap. For example, I got my lunch today for less than two dollars and it was delicious and more than filled me up. Also, yesterday I went to a cafe called Madelin's which is really fun and makes real coffee for pretty cheap (an americano for about $1.25).

I have to say, I feel like I lucked out on my placement (knock on wood). I'm in a really great city and working for an organization that is very effective. Now that I've visited Shymkent I am excited to move here and really start working.

2 comments:

beckysurlepont said...

yay! sounds amazing!

Laura said...

Joseph, i miss you.
i hope everything is going well in kstan. Im glad your visit to your city went well and you like it. I am so excited for you.