Sunday, September 28, 2008

Right now I am still in Peace Corps training. I live in the same town and train (language, technical, and cultural) six days a week with the other twenty people in my program. This all ends November 7th, when we are all shipped off to different parts of Kazakhstan to work in various NGOs. This Friday we find out where our permanent sites (like the ones we’ll have for the next two years… OMG) will be.

I must admit that I am very anxious about this revelation. A couple weeks ago we were given a questionnaire regarding the type of NGO we would like to work for and the area of Kazakhstan that we would prefer to work in. I expressed the desire to work in an urban area in Northern Kazakhstan. I also expressed the desire to work for an NGO that dealt with either urban development or human rights issues. The Peace Corps staff has taken these things into consideration, as well as my past experience, and the available sites when placing me; however, there are no guarantees and in fact it is unlikely that all of these preferences will be met.

These next four days are going to be VERY long. Now I knew going into the Peace Corps that I would need to be really flexible and willing to go with the flow, but I will be very disappointed if I am placed in some tiny village working in some school or something. It’s not that I don’t think working in villages or with children is worthwhile, but I don’t think that in this type of situation the Peace Corps would be utilizing my skills and experiences to their fullest (I mean I did just graduate with a degree in URBAN and regional studies, concentrating in international development…). But hey, whatever happens I think I’ll be okay. I will likely have to create some secondary project anyhow and maybe there I can really get creative and make this Peace Corps adventure relevant to my studies. Anyway, I will be sure to post where my placement is, any information I have about the organization I’ll be working for, and how I feel about it all.


On a slightly lighter note… I went on a hike with a few friends in the mountains outside of my town. It was pretty amazing because we’re right on the edge of a mountain range and the steppe (flat nothingness) and we could see forever once we got up a little :)

3 comments:

beckysurlepont said...

Joe! I love reading your blog!!! I'm sure you'll be somewhere where you feel important and productive, no matter what you're doing. They need you! I miss you like crazy crazy!xoxo

Unknown said...

Joseph,

As an RPCV from Kazakhstan, I can tell you that, based on my experience, they do everything they can to match a volunteer with a site that has the specifics he or she requests. However, I do know that the current trend is for volunteers to be placed in smaller villages as opposed to big cities. I was blessed to have been assigned to Pavlodar, a beautiful city in Northern Kazakhstan. When I filled out my site questionnaire, all I requested was a toilet that flushed.

Best of luck as you await word on your site. If it turns out to be Pavlodar, let me know and I'll give you tips on the better cafes and shashleek stands.

Unknown said...

Pryvet Joe!
This is my first time seeing your blog. I'm so happy that I get the chance to hear all about your experiences. Can't wait to find out more! And as becky said, you really are going to be wonderful at whatever you do. You're the best. I miss you so much!
love,
Steph